Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Life on Mars - Rosemarie Trockel

Slowly, I am getting to posting about the Life on Mars exhibit. There are still several more artists whose work really struck me. I will mention, though, that I didn't spend any time with the video artists. At laest, not on this trip. Maybe when I return to the exhibit. After all, it is a very long show.

ci085.jpg

This is a really eerie piece. It struck me as soon as I walked into the gallery. I admit, I wanted to sit down on the sofa and make I on my sofa into We on my sofa. What made it so eerie was the shadow box construction. I felt like the portrait was floating up through some heavy liquid. The sofa itself was strange, which really doesn't come through in these images. On close examination, I know that it would be uncomfortable to sit next to this I. Very uncomfortable.

ci084.jpg

I am looking forward to visiting Rosemarie Trockel's work when I return to the museum.

No comments: