Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Art Fair Orgy : Red Dot Fair


I was in NY for the Art Fairs and did the Armory Show, Pulse, Scope and the Red Dot Fair, as well as Fountain before burning out. I have not done the fairs in this way for several years.

Friday, I did the Red Dot Fair, partly because this is the type of fair that I could perhaps realistically participate in. This was the only fair that I can truly say had a lot of very bad work, but it also had a lot of great stuff. The fair included a number of private curators, independent dealers and informal galleries which made it very interesting to me. The hotel format, when done well can also lead to a lot of creative surprises.


Eyewash, A legendary, (or like it should be) independent curatorial program had one of the first rooms which held some Linda Ganjin eye candy.


A little further in was the room of Reppetti Gallery in Long Island City, which was stuffed with a lot of intense paintings like this one by Ben Pritchard.

Another treat was Pentimenti Gallery from Philly where I liked the Margaret Murphy work.

Kenise Barnes Fine Art from Larchmont had a nice booth that seemed to focus on works on paper and paintings. Flat file artist Mary judge had two large drawings there. My shot sucks.

Dillon Gallery, NY won the prize for the best use of space with it's Alexander Kaletski cardboard bed instalation.


Several other galleries like Roy Boyd- Chicago, consultant, M% from Cleveland and Rebecca Ibel from Columbus had great stuff.

No comments: