Monday, October 01, 2012

September's Downtown Gallery Crawl

The Night Market

I love the Fall season. After the lazy summer days, everybody seems ready to get back to the serious business of putting on great shows and doing really fun art stuff. The Gallery Crawl in the Cultural District is no slacker when it comes to putting some fun stuff out there. I really enjoyed my evening out in the environs of Downtown Pittsburgh. That's not to say that there weren't some very serious exhibits going, but I think I'll save that for another day.

There were two artist markets taking place during the Gallery Crawl on Friday. The first one that I visited was ART Squared in Market Square, a loosely organized offering of DIY crafts, art and music. I was there pretty early, so I am sure that things picked up as the evening wore on.

I had a blast at the Night Market. It was on two short alleys off of Liberty Avenue and it was packed with vendors. Lots and lots of tasty victuals and even tastier crafts. Soy Sos was spinning some tunes, and there were people just starting to dance. Some of the vendors, like Tugboat Printshop, were familiar. Some were new to me; there was a vendor, Creative Customology that had the best floral jewelry. I loved the necklaces!

Another fun stop was the Handmade Arcade's DIY Portrait Studio The sort-of photobooth popped up in an empty storefront on Liberty Ave. There were backdrops and props. Sooo many feather boas!

Some stops to consider on your next trip downtown -

PNC Legacy Project, located om Liberty Ave.

Cell Phone Disco on Tito Way

Awesome Books, on Liberty Ave.

Enjoy the slideshow. I wish I had more picture to share, but it was dark and a LOT of my shots are just not worth sharing. If anybody wants to pass a digital camera on to me, you would have my undying gratitude.

No comments: