Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Carnegie International - Katja Strunz + Paul Thek + Wolfgang Tillmans



Katja STRUNZ, Germany, b. 1970

There's something really whimsical here. In a ruined sort of way. The King of Hearts comes to mind for some inexplicable reason. You might have the patience to read this ArtForum review. I'm afraid that I don't.



Paul Thek Fishman

Two very interesting sources for this artist. On Clusterflock, a post with links to a few sites that celebrate this artist's work. On Modern Art Notes, an interview with Olga Viso, the director of the Hirschhorn. The discussion opens by addressing the disintegration of the above work.



Wolfgang Tillmans Sportflecken

A friend and I were discussing the way that, in the current art sphere, beauty is equated with decorative. In my mind, many confuse beauty with pretty, which certainly is decorative. Beauty transcends and breathes. Tillmans' photography does exactly that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the work of Tillmans.
This line up for the Carnegie International is incredible- looks way more enjoyable than the Whitney Biennial.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the Whitney Biennial. After posting about these artists, though, I do find myself looking forward to the exhibit.