Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Carnegie International - Peter Fischli & David Weiss + Ryan Gander + Daniel GUZMÁN



Peter Fischli and David Weiss: Suddenly this

Peter Fischli & David Weiss have been collaborating since the 1970's. from Wikipedia -
For their work, they make use of a large bandwidth of artistic forms of expression: Film and photography, art-books, sculptures made out of different materials, and multimedia-installations. They adapt objects and situations of the everyday life and place them into an artistic context — often using humour and irony. Read more

The Wikipedia article didn't mention whimsy, so I will. The above image is from a retrospective at the Tate. There are additional images on the site. I'm curious to see what will be presented by this duo because of the assertion that the artists work in a number of materials. I work that way myself, but I don't always exhibit the experiments that I do in mediums with which I don't have a high degree of competence. I find that experimenting in other mediums freshens my approach.



Ryan Gander @ Store Gallery - She Walked Ahead, Leading Him Through a Blizzard of Characters

There is a review by Brian Sholis that might shed some light on Gander's work. I found very little written about his work, really. He seems to be concentrating on installation/site specific pieces. He had early success in his career, exhibiting at the Tate in 2006. (As an aside, I can't believe how many of the artists I've looked into were shown at the Tate.) These are pretty quiet pieces, as you can see from the Store Gallery catalog link. Sharon Butler has an article in The Brooklyn Rail that addresses this much more eloquently than I can.



Daniel GUZMÁN

There is a really great review by Jessica Berlanga Taylor in Frieze Magazine of Daniel Guzman's work.
By deconstructing the wealth of images that surrounds him, Guzmán moves away from the artifices of Western civilization towards what lies within himself and is natural to all humans: the ongoing search for the powerful energies that permeate our existence.

Again, this is another artist that works in multiple mediums. But these feel large, even though I can't find a scale reference in what I was able to find online.

To be continued.

No comments: