Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bob Qualters continues to amaze me



Bob Qualters

Okay, so my camera isn't the best and sometimes my images leave something to be desired. I wanna tell ya, the above is from the Borelli Edwards Galleries site. The BE Galleries does not permit photography (seriously!) so even if I had gone back to my friend's car to retrieve my camera, it wouldn't have done any good. But this was a seriously amazing work by a long-established artist, Bob Qualters. I'm not even sure if the image is compelling enough to make someone seek out this Larryville gallery. If you do, it would be worth the trip. It has these strangely assembled layers, providing a very weird depth to the work. It is painterly and loose, a character that is cosistent throughout Bob Qualters work. I didn't note down the title of the piece, I'm afraid. Sometimes, titles can provide at least a glimpse into the inner workings of an artist's intention. I do know that this piece was incredibly more compelling in the gallery than it appears here in this scrappy little image.

While you are there, you might want to check out the Pittsburgh Print Group exhibit. Some works by Paula Klein and Sun Young Kang are presented. Both are accomplished artists, coming from entirely different perspectives. You can check out images from the PPG New Works exhibit on the BE site.

Borelli-Edwards Galleries
3583 Butler Street
Lawrenceville, PA 15201
412.687.2606 or begalleries@mac.com

No comments: