Friday, November 16, 2012

Very Rare, Robert Johnson Record found at Jerry's Records in Squirrel Hill

 I Believe I'll Dust My Broom, is the second song blues legend Robert Johnson ever recorded and copies are extremely rare.

One was just found in a waterlogged box of records found while cleaning out an attic.

From The Post Gazette
 
"Johnson, born in 1911, was an itinerant street-corner musician who never achieved fame during his lifetime. In November 1936, he recorded 16 songs, including "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom," at a temporary studio set up at a hotel in San Antonio, Texas. It was one of only two sessions he ever did, but his influence was substantial, thanks to such British blues players as Eric Clapton and Keith Richards, who revered his work and covered his songs in the '60s.

The mythology of Robert Johnson is that he gained his ability to play the blues by selling his soul to the Devil at a crossroads in rural Mississippi. His death in 1938, at age 27, is mysterious, but it is believed that he was poisoned by a woman's jealous husband."


No comments: