Thursday, August 03, 2006

Culture in The Hood

I think that I have said more than once that a lot of the great cultural stuff in my neighborhood was pretty underground. So one of the gallery/projects has a website up that helps to give one an idea of what they are doing. As you should know by now, you might not be getting totally accurate dope from a blog like mine. But here is the story as near as I can piece it together.

There are these twin sisters with a lot of guts. One sister started a tiny gallery in her east villiage apartment a few years ago ( Barb) and has had a bunch of kind of underground shows and the other sister ( Beth ) moved back to Pittsburgh with the idea of buying a building. Now, she owns it ( a few blocks away from me ) and is working to develop an artist residency program that will link both cities. But then someone threw in a Fishing boat in Alaska (Barb ) and you are not too sure what is going on. Really, you sort of get the impression that someone knows what they are doing.

I don't know either of them too well since, as you might guess they are a little busy. The one thing I can say is that the idea is outstanding on a whole lot of levels.

No comments: